The family business structure is the main form of enterprise for the vast majority of businesses operating in Canada. As demographics shift, the focus on effective tax and succession planning will be paramount for owners and families alike. Compounded by a shifting legal and financial landscape, it is essential for professionals and operators in this area to remain on top of the many challenges and issues faced by family businesses today.
This program focuses on technical and complex issues relating to the protection and transfer of wealth in family business situations. Our expert faculty will take you through the impact of new case law, legislation and CRA pronouncements, as well as equip you with practical and effective strategies you can directly utilize in your practice. You will learn the planning techniques and structures that best preserve wealth and protect family interests in the face of an unstable market, impending succession, resultant taxes and other complicated family dynamics.
Key Areas to be Addressed:
• The impact of recent legal decisions and CRA pronouncements relevant to tax and succession planning
• Common impediments to selling the family business and how to make the enterprise more saleable
• The tax implications of various exit strategies, including tax considerations when selling the business outside of the family and tax-related issues for intra-family transfers
• How to best preserve wealth for the family business through estate plans, creative trust structures and other tax planning tools
• Restructuring the family business
• Post-mortem planning
• US tax and estate issues
• Lessons for dealing with the CRA
• Philanthropy and the family business
Who Should Attend?
• Lawyers who practise in the areas of business, succession planning or taxation
• Accountants practising in areas of personal and/or corporate taxation, estate planning or advisory services for small business
• Banking and trust company executives and managers
• Owners and managers of family owned businesses
• Financial planners
• Business consultants
For more information visit www.pbli.com/1526
1) Telephone: 604-730-2500 or toll free 877-730-2555
2) Fax: 604-730-5085 or toll free 866-730-5085
3) Mail: Unit 2-2246 Spruce Street, Vancouver, BC V6H 2P3
4) Online: https://www.pbli.com/programs/register?itemid=533