Delta greenhouse now supplying cannabis for B.C. government

Village Farms reached a production of approximately 75,000 kilograms in its first 1.1 million square-foot of greenhouse operation. A second 1.1 million square-foot of space is planned to be in full production by the end of 2020 | Photo: Village Farms

A large-scale East Ladner greenhouse operation that’s made the switch to cannabis has begun supplying the B.C. government with product.

Emerald Health Therapeutics, Inc., which has a partnership with Village farms called Pure Sunfarms, announced it has begun shipping branded, packaged dried cannabis products to the B.C. Liquor Distribution Branch, which acts as the provincial wholesaler of non-medical cannabis, supplying licensed private retailers and the government-run online store and stand-alone B.C. Cannabis Stores.

“Pure Sunfarms has taken another important step shipping its first branded cannabis product for the British Columbia market,” said Riaz Bandali, CEO of Emerald., in a news release. “As PSF’s quality products become available directly to Canadian consumers, and as the PSF brand continues to penetrate the Canadian recreational cannabis retail market, we look forward to seeing continued growth in sales and shareholder value.”

The company says it’s also continuing to advance discussions with other provincial distributors for potential supply agreements to further expand its presence in the Canadian cannabis market. 

The plan is to have 2.2 million square feet of production space at the facility converted to cannabis.

Although within provincial jurisdiction, cannabis being grown in the Agricultural Land Reserve has been brought up as a topic during the recent federal all-candidates debates in Delta. All the candidates expressed concern about the loss of food production.

The City of Delta has stated its position that cannabis production shouldn’t be allowed on farmland but it remains a permitted use by the province under certain conditions.

Only proposals for new greenhouses for cannabis production in the ALR that do not have a soil base require a rezoning and non-farm use application to the Agricultural Land Commission.

Any applications would be subject to city council approval and a public hearing.

Delta Optimist