Meng Wanzhou applies to delay resumption of extradition hearings until August

Huawei Technologies CFO Meng Wanzhou has applied to delay her extradition hearing proceedings into the second half of this year, officials said today.

According to officials from all three sides - The B.C. Supreme Court, the Canadian Department of Justice and Meng's own defence team - the Chinese tech executive will have a previously unscheduled court date next Monday (April 19) before Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes to determine the merits of the application.

Justice Department officials say Meng is looking to adjourn the hearings to August. Currently, the hearings are to continue on April 26 and will cover alleged U.S. misrepresentations to Canadian authorities and courts in their extradition request for Canada to arrest Meng on Dec. 1, 2018.

Holmes had previously said she would like the case to be determined in a timely manner, with May as the target time period for the court to reach a decision.

Meng is fighting U.S. accusations that she lied to HSBC in Hong Kong in 2013 about Huawei's operations in Iran to ensure the bank continues to provide financial services and credit facilities to the tech company. By doing so, the U.S. is alleging that Meng put HSBC at risk of violating U.S. sanctions on Iran - which qualifies as fraud.

The Chinese tech executive - who has been ordered to remain in Vancouver since the time of her arrest - disputes those claims, accusing U.S. and Canadian authorities of colluding to secure her evidence in violation of her charter rights.